What Is Black Mold?
At some point in your existence you've heard the sensational reports about "Black Mold." Perhaps it went something like this, "black mold found in this apartment" or "students exposed to black mold while at school."
To rightly understand Black Mold it's important that we equip ourselves with the facts, separating then fact from fiction and safe-guarding ourselves from fear and hysteria.
- First, Black Mold is also commonly called Toxic Mold.
- Second, the technical name for Black Mold is Stachybotrys Chartarum. This type of mold produces allergens and irritants.
- Third, because Black Mold is toxic, the key response should always be: caution, identify, address — as a rule, treat mold with caution, stay out of affected areas and do not touch or disturb.
- Finally, mold growth is directly related to high moisture areas and can grow in as little as three days so there is need to act quickly and decisively.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Weston / West Davie immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (954) 384-6653
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Weston / West Davie is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Cooper City
- Southwest Ranches